There are over 3000 counties in the U.S., spending $750 billion, through 155 million purchase orders, doing business with 4 million vendors (Source: GovSpend). Imagine the possibilities if they all worked together. Counties face a wide variety of procurement challenges that have emerged from fragmented processes, including but not limited to:
- Requests for quote (RFQs)
- Bids/Requests for proposal (RFPs)
- Formal/informal quotes
- Invitations for bid (IFBs)
- Micro-purchases (P-Cards)
- Requests for qualification
- Requests for tender (RFTs)
- Cooperatives/Group Purchasing Organizations (GPOs)
- GSA Schedule
- Sole source buying
- Simplified acquisitions
- State contracts
These obstacles affect not only counties, but also extend to all of state, local, and education (SLED) procurement. That means billions of dollars are being lost each year due to decentralization and inefficient public purchasing methods. Here are 5 reasons why counties are turning to smart, data-driven tech solutions to revolutionize their procurement processes:
1. Smart web-based tools for government increase efficiency and transparency.
2. Advanced data analysis platforms allow benchmarking against peers.
3. Usage of meaningful data enables the deployment of evidence-based interventions.
4. Adoption of innovative digital channels reduces procurement costs.
5. Boosting investments in expertise and skill building produces mission-driven employees.
Earlier this year, Monroe County, PA saved $50,000 using a smart online pricing database. Routt County, CO saved $6,500 on their first IT purchase since adopting a free centralized quoting platform just a few months ago. Cities in Flagler County, FL are building connections with over 6000 new vendors and seeing dramatic jumps in productivity by leveraging the power of data.
What are you waiting for? Get your county involved today with a free GovQuote account!
GovSpend is an online database of government purchase orders from federal, state and local agencies. Government municipalities are provided access to the system to identify local vendors, evaluate pricing for best available rate, confirm vendor performance, validate sole source and find piggyback opportunities. In addition, this solution includes GovQuote, the first web-based digital platform to seamlessly connect government agencies and private companies on the largest and fastest request for quote (RFQ) marketplace. Agencies can request quotes in under 60 seconds, stay 100% compliant, and keep all their vendor quotes centralized.